Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Progress Report

Since I am now into the sixth week of my sixteen week training program, I figure it is time to give an update on how things have been going so far.

It seems a little silly to be mentioning this, since it is the most obvious result when you are training hard for something, but I am in much better shape than I was when I started six weeks ago.

{Go ahead and laugh}

I bring this up because I am amazed at how much better I have gotten at running compared to the shape that I was in six weeks into my last training program. I am sure that some of it has to do with the base that I already had going into this, where as I didn't have much of a running base at all when I started before....and though I still slack off in this area, my eating habits have greatly improved over the past couple of months, so I'm sure that has helped me to shed some unwanted pounds (current weight = 159lbs).

More than anything though, I attribute the noticeable prorgess to the fartleks, strides, tempo runs, and intervals. These things have been kicking my butt during the week and paying dividends on my longer weekend runs. Instead of dragging across the finish line like I used to, I am able to kick the pace up a bit and finish strong. If you haven't added them to your training program yet, I highly recommend that you do.

The benefits?
  • A better conditioned heart which has to work less on longer runs (lower average heart rate)
  • A higher lactate threshold which reduces cramping or tightening of muscles
  • The ability to "kick" in the middle or at the end of a long run
  • Noticeable progress in no time!
What to do?
  • Fartleks: Start out with a 1-2-3-2-1 fartlek. For each number, alternate a period of fast running with a period of easy jogging. From there, you can build up to 2-3-3-3-2, 2-3-4-3-2, and 6-4-3-2-1 fartleks.
  • Strides: Accelerate for 20 to 30 yards, hold that speed for 30 to 40 yards, and then slow down for 20 to 30 yards. Becareful not to strain anything by running too fast.
  • Tempo Runs: These are steady runs at a pace just beyond your lactate threshold or "comfortably hard". Start out with a 12 minute tempo run and then increase to 14, 18, 20, and 24 minutes.
  • Intervals: You can run 400 or 800 meter intervals. Some that I have done are 4x800, 6x800, and 7x800. In-between each interval, I run the same distance at a slow jog or sometimes a walk. Runner's World magazine says that your effort should be a 7 or 8 on a scale of 1 to 10.
There you go. Enjoy!

Oh, I almost forgot - I have been "big toe pain" free since purchasing another pair of Saucony shoes. Thanks to everyone for the recommendation.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kelley said...

Your progress is amazing...I can see that you are getting so much faster. You have to continue being diligent with your training, even amongst all of the house renovations we are currently doing. Your training is important! That marathon will be here before you know it!

Also glad to hear that your big toe pain has gone away...you shouldn't let your shoes get so many miles on them anymore, definitely!

9/09/2006 7:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

TIME WARP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOURE STILL IN YOUR SIXTH WEEK OF TRAINING??? HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE???? THE WORLD HAS BEEN SPINNING ALL ALONG AND YOURE NOT KEEPING UP. IT IS PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE.
GUESS WHO

10/09/2006 1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home